Saturday, October 27, 2012

Toughest 10K Kemah

I decided that through my struggles to run long distances in the hot and humid weather that is gulf coast, I would register in some races as motivation.  Avoiding all thought of the implications of running 10 km in hot and humid conditions, I signed up quickly for the Toughest 10K Kemah.  I didn't know much about it, except I googled races of some sort.  I did envision that there was incline on both sides of the bridge, but experiencing it is a totally different thing.  The wafts of fish was something we had to deal with on the bridge transitions.  Not pleasant.

Without going through too many details of the race, I did finish it with a time of 1:05:07.9, 50th out of 123 women in the W30 - 34 category.  The incline was 5 degrees on one side and 4 degrees on the other side.  My goal is to finish it without limping across the finish line.  That's all I care about.


 Just one side of the bridge that I ran across 4 times total!


With my registration and finishing the race, I received a t-shirt, hat, AND medal!  They also had chiropractor students from the university and lots of food and foam rollers to use on site.  Pretty darn cool.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Holy smokes! Posting bonanza!

Congrats on the great finish. Yes, that bridge IS really steep. I don't think I could have managed it once, let alone four times.

I did walk (no running!) across the Lions Gate Bridge about a month ago and had to contend with an open sewage treatment plant down below. That's fairly comparable, yes?

What the heck is a foam roller?

Mom said...

Hey I thought they ran 'miles' in the great USofA.....Good job, another medal for the stash!

Anonymous said...

I would consider open sewage as an obstacle when running/walking!

G